Maternal/Child Technician - PMC-Two East - Per Diem Nights
Company: Hackensack University Medical Center
Location: North Bergen
Posted on: May 3, 2021
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian
Health our healthcare teams are focused on changing the lives of
our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every
day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health
teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities,
our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your
skills in multiple settings while building your career all within
New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Maternal/Child Technician assists in the nursing care and
preparation of labor and delivery surgical patients and as an
assistant to the professional nursing staff in the division of
Maternal Child Health, by performing tasks involving patient care
and related unit activities.
* This is a Per Diem position.
A day in the life of a Maternal/Child Technician at Hackensack
Meridian Health includes:
* Prepares rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies
and equipment necessary for each individual procedure as outlined
in the departmental policy and procedure manual; refers to the
physician's preference book for special needs, equipment, or
instruments of the surgeon performing the scheduled operation.
* Demonstrates competence in assisting the surgical team during
operative procedures. Consistently passes instruments, sponges,
sutures, and suction tubes to surgeon and surgical assistants, as
requested, in such a manner that the surgeon need not divert
attention from the operating field.
* Demonstrates an awareness of legal responsibilities and the
reason for complete accuracy when performing operating room counts
(sponge, needle, instrument); knows proper procedure to follow in
case of an incorrect count; reports discrepancies and/or
* Follows written procedures in accounting for reporting the number
of drains and /or packs and their location to the Circulating
* Demonstrates competence in the care of specimens and in the
accurate recording, labeling, and handling of specimens at all
* Gowns and gloves other scrubbed personnel, as requested,
Following strict aseptic procedures at all times.
* Adjusts lights and other equipment as directed by the surgeon or
staff nurse; always follows orders carefully and completely;
positions and adjusts surgical and special equipment accordingly to
the surgical procedure to be performed.
* Maintains patient's safety by applying the principles of body
alignment and attaches additional equipment on the table according
to established procedures; ensures that bony prominence are well
padded. Utilize knowledge of techniques and regulations appropriate
to the ages of patients served.
* Keeps operative field in a neat, clean, dry and sterile
condition; identifies and immediately reports any breaks in aseptic
techniques by self and others; maintains a sterile set-up until the
patient has left the operating room.
* Ensures comfort and safety for patient; demonstrates an awareness
of patient's fears and apprehension. Supports patients emotionally
in the pre- and post-surgical phase; is sensitive to patient care
needs, and treats patients with kindness and understanding; shows
an interest in the patient as a person. Alerts others to meet a
patient's immediate needs; remains aware of any changes in a
patients condition; respects patient's privacy and confidentiality,
at all times. Utilizes updates knowledge of techniques and
regulations appropriate to the ages of patients served.
Communicates clearly and tactfully with patients.
* Follows established procedures in making up special sterile
supplies such as: needles, catheters, penrose drain, cotton balls,
etc.: sterilizes specific instruments as necessary according to
proper sterilization procedures; demonstrates proper wrapping
techniques of supplies for sterilization. Always follows written
proceduresfor gas and steam sterilization; knows responsibilities
and the necessity for chemical and bacteriological monitoring.
* Checks on daily basis, assigned MCH equipment to ensure proper
functioning; maintains an awareness of special maintenance
procedures; promptly reports any inoperative equipment to the
supervisor; inspects the department regularly for proper equipment
* Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure
height, weight, I & O, and other measurements as applicable, in an
accurate and precise manner. Records all vital signs immediately
after taking, in the TPR log book and reports all variations from
normal to the RN in charge.
* Prepares patients for meals, sets up each patient and their tray,
assists in feeding patients (if necessary), positions patients to
avoid choking and ease in eating; regularly provides patients with
fresh water (at least one time/shift) and other nourishments
according to patient's needs.
* Demonstrates competence in performing treatments and procedures
Such as enemas, applications of heat and cold compresses, sitz
bath, Skin preps and EKG's.
* Ensures delivery of excellent customer service resulting in
positive and improving patient satisfaction scores for department
and Medical Center.
SUPPLEMENTAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Follows departmental procedures in: scrubbing, hand drying,
gowning, gloving, and observing for contamination and/or breaks in
aseptic technique. Demonstrates close attention to details of
aseptic technique at all times. Follows aseptic technique when
opening sterile supplies and setting-up procedures. Discards any
contaminated supplies-immediately, according to established written
* Assists in transportation of patient as required from bed to
operating room. Assists other team members, upon completion of
surgery, in moving patient on a wheeled stretcher for delivery to
the Post Anesthesia Recovery Room; demonstrates an awareness of
patient safety and proper body mechanics.
* Assists in draping patients for surgical procedures; follows
procedures outlined in the department manual. Assists in the
preparation of patient operative areas according to the need;
carefully follows established procedures under the direction of the
Labor and Delivery Room Staff Nurse.
* Assists in the cleanup of the labor and delivery rooms following
deliveries and surgical procedures, including disposal of used
linens, gloves, instruments, utensils, equipment and waste; cleans
instrument tables at the end of each case according to proper
sterilization. Always follows written procedures for gas and steam
sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for
chemical and bacteriological monitoring.
* Assists in clerical work and takes messages.
* Participates in patient assignment conferences with the
Registered Nurses and fully understands patient assignment.
* Assumes responsibility for patients' clothing and personal
property (prosthetic devices, hearing aids, glasses, etc.) by
securing items in accordance with established procedures;
accurately notes and always provides for safe care of patient
valuables. Assists and accompanies patient in the admission,
transfer, and discharge process; documents patient admission and
discharge data correctly in appropriate log book.
* Provides post-mortem care and transport of body in a safe,
precise manner to the morgue.
* Maintains CPR certification; demonstrates and ability to function
in emergency situations.
* Assists with the orientation of new personnel to the MCH
* Demonstrates the ability to perform any or all of the scrub or
circulating duties outlined in the department procedure manual
under the direction of a staff nurse for labor and delivery
* Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working relationship
with all members of the health care team; responds to co-workers
with concern and cooperation; readily assists co-workers without
* Greets patients in a courteous manner, responds to patients with
empathy and positive interpersonal skills; introduces self and
refers to patient by name.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Successful completion of a nationally or regionally accredited
education program for surgical technologists.
* Six months Operating Room or Labor and Delivery scrub experience
* Six months hospital Nursing Assistant experience preferred.
* High School diploma or equivalent.
* Successful completion of a Nursing Assistant/Technician Training
Program with Certification.
* BLS Certification.
* One year of hospital Nursing Assistant/Technician experience
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths
and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack University Medical Center, North Bergen , Maternal/Child Technician - PMC-Two East - Per Diem Nights, Other , North Bergen, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!