Maternal/Child Technician - PMC-Two East- Ob/Gyn - Part Time Nights
Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Location: North Bergen
Posted on: May 27, 2023
Description: How have you impacted someone's life today? At
Hackensack Meridian Health our healthcare teams are focused on
changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level
of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and
occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home
care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you
to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your
career all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
The Maternal/Child Technician assists in the nursing care and
preparation of labor and delivery surgical patients and as an
assistant to the professional nursing staff in the division of
Maternal Child Health, by performing tasks involving patient care
and related unit activities.
Responsibilties: A day in the life of a Maternal/Child Technician
at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Prepares rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies
and equipment necessary for each individual procedure as
outlined in the departmental policy and procedure manual; refers to
the physician's preference book for special needs,
equipment, or instruments of the surgeon performing the scheduled
- Demonstrates competence in assisting the surgical team during
operative procedures. Consistently passes instruments,
sponges, sutures, and suction tubes to surgeon and surgical
assistants, as requested, in such a manner that the surgeon
need not divert attention from the operating field.
- Demonstrates an awareness of legal responsibilities and the
reason for complete accuracy when performing operating room counts
(sponge, needle, instrument); knows proper procedure to follow in
case of an incorrect count; reports discrepancies and/or
- Follows written procedures in accounting for reporting the
number of drains and /or packs and their location to the
- Demonstrates competence in the care of specimens and in the
accurate recording, labeling, and handling of specimens at all
- Gowns and gloves other scrubbed personnel, as requested,
Following strict aseptic procedures at all times.
- Adjusts lights and other equipment as directed by the surgeon
or staff nurse; always follows orders carefully and completely;
positions and adjusts surgical and special equipment accordingly to
the surgical procedure to be performed.
- Maintains patient's safety by applying the principles of body
alignment and attaches additional equipment on the table
according to established procedures; ensures that bony prominence
are well padded. Utilize knowledge of techniques
and regulations appropriate to the ages of patients served.
- Keeps operative field in a neat, clean, dry and sterile
condition; identifies and immediately reports any breaks in aseptic
techniques by self and others; maintains a sterile set-up until the
patient has left the operating room.
- Ensures comfort and safety for patient; demonstrates an
awareness of patient's fears and apprehension. Supports patients
emotionally in the pre- and post-surgical phase; is sensitive to
patient care needs, and treats patients with kindness and
understanding; shows an interest in the patient as a person. Alerts
others to meet a patient's immediate needs; remains aware of any
changes in a patients condition; respects patient's privacy and
confidentiality, at all times. Utilizes updates knowledge of
techniques and regulations appropriate to the ages of patients
served. Communicates clearly and tactfully with patients.
- Follows established procedures in making up special sterile
supplies such as: needles, catheters, penrose drain, cotton balls,
etc.: sterilizes specific instruments as necessary according to
proper sterilization procedures; demonstrates proper wrapping
techniques of supplies for sterilization. Always follows written
procedures for gas and steam sterilization; knows responsibilities
and the necessity for chemical and bacteriological monitoring.
- Checks on daily basis, assigned MCH equipment to ensure proper
functioning; maintains an awareness of special maintenance
procedures; promptly reports any inoperative equipment to the
supervisor; inspects the department regularly for proper equipment
- Takes and records temperature, pulse, respiration, blood
pressure height, weight, I & O, and other measurements as
applicable, in an accurate and precise manner. Records all vital
signs immediately after taking, in the TPR log book and reports all
variations from normal to the RN in charge.
- Prepares patients for meals, sets up each patient and their
tray, assists in feeding patients (if necessary), positions
patients to avoid choking and ease in eating; regularly provides
patients with fresh water (at least one time/shift) and other
nourishments according to patient's needs.
- Demonstrates competence in performing treatments and procedures
Such as enemas, applications of heat and cold compresses, sitz
bath, Skin preps and EKG's.
- Ensures delivery of excellent customer service resulting in
positive and improving patient satisfaction scores
for department and Medical Center.
- Follows departmental procedures in: scrubbing, hand drying,
gowning, gloving, and observing for contamination and/or breaks in
aseptic technique. Demonstrates close attention to details of
aseptic technique at all times. Follows aseptic technique when
opening sterile supplies and setting-up procedures. Discards any
contaminated supplies-immediately, according to established written
- Assists in transportation of patient as required from bed to
operating room. Assists other team members, upon completion of
surgery, in moving patient on a wheeled stretcher for delivery to
the Post Anesthesia Recovery Room; demonstrates an awareness of
patient safety and proper body mechanics.
- Assists in draping patients for surgical procedures; follows
procedures outlined in the department manual. Assists in the
preparation of patient operative areas according to the need;
carefully follows established procedures under the direction of the
Labor and Delivery Room Staff Nurse.
- Assists in the cleanup of the labor and delivery rooms
following deliveries and surgical procedures, including disposal of
used linens, gloves, instruments, utensils, equipment and waste;
cleans instrument tables at the end of each case according to
proper sterilization. Always follows written procedures for gas and
steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for
chemical and bacteriological monitoring.
- Assists in clerical work and takes messages.
- Participates in patient assignment conferences with the
Registered Nurses and fully understands patient assignment.
- Assumes responsibility for patients' clothing and personal
property (prosthetic devices, hearing aids, glasses, etc.) by
securing items in accordance with established procedures;
accurately notes and always provides for safe care of patient
valuables. Assists and accompanies patient in the admission,
transfer, and discharge process; documents patient admission and
discharge data correctly in appropriate log book.
- Provides post-mortem care and transport of body in a safe,
precise manner to the morgue.
- Maintains CPR certification; demonstrates and ability to
function in emergency situations.
- Assists with the orientation of new personnel to the MCH
- Demonstrates the ability to perform any or all of the scrub or
circulating duties outlined in the department procedure manual
under the direction of a staff nurse for labor and delivery
- Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working
relationship with all members of the health care team; responds to
co-workers with concern and cooperation; readily assists co-workers
without being asked.
- Greets patients in a courteous manner, responds to patients
with empathy and positive interpersonal skills; introduces self and
refers to patient by name.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Qualifications: EDUCATION:
- Successful completion of a nationally or regionally accredited
education program for surgical technologists.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- BLS Certification. WORK EXPERIENCE:
- One year of hospital Nursing Assistant/Technician experience
- Six months Operating Room or Labor and Delivery scrub
- Six months hospital Nursing Assistant experience preferred. If
you feel that the above description speaks directly to your
strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Keywords: Hackensack Meridian Health, North Bergen , Maternal/Child Technician - PMC-Two East- Ob/Gyn - Part Time Nights, Healthcare , North Bergen, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...